Friday, January 13, 2012

The Treadmill

I can be in the gym and work for 35 minutes or longer with the weights.  I can get on the elliptical and rock out speeds that make me look like a rock star.  I can jump rope... do sit-ups... push-ups... crunches... more sit-ups.... and more push-ups... leg machines... arm machines... jump rope... elliptical... and so on.  I can have a kick ass work out, be sweating, out of breath, and sore... and still give just a little bit more.

But when it comes to getting on the treadmill to run I feel like this guy... 




The treadmill is my nemesis... my enemy... I  H. A. T. E. the treadmill!  And do you know why I hate the treadmill?  Because of the games it plays with my head!  Running, whether indoors or outdoors, is a mind game more than anything!  It's getting past the voice in your head that says, "You can't do this anymore... Just quit!" I do a lot better when I'm able to run outdoors because I am actually running towards something... I'm really moving... and if I want to get my butt home or across a finish line I have to keep going!  I still struggle with the mind games but like I said, I have to keep going!

During yesterday's workout, for whatever reason, I was tired!  I felt as if I just wasn't giving it my all and when I got to the end of the workout, the time when we get on the treadmill, I was done!  The mind games got the best of me yesterday and I walked out of the gym feeling like a failure... and I hated that feeling!

As soon as I got home I texted Trainer Jeremy and told him that I felt as if I didn't give it my all and it was a feeling I didn't like.  We talked about it when he got home from work and this morning when I walked into the gym I was ready for round two... and this time I wouldn't let the games win!  I pushed on the elliptical, I pushed with the weights, and when it came time to get on the treadmill I was the one who came out on top!

It's not always going to be easy... there will be good days and bad days... BUT as long as I keep reminding myself that this is a journey that will take time, dedication, and hard work... I'm going to come out on top... even on the treadmill!

No comments: