Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Workout Wednesday... The Elliptical

I thought I'd share some of the exercises that Trainer Jeremy has me (us) doing in the gym and call them...
 
"Workout Wednesday"
 
Clever... I know!  So, here's the first and probably the hardest exercise we do, and it all happens on the elliptical!  I know most of my runner friends loathe the elliptical. Only because they feel it doesn't give them the same workout that running does, and they're right, it doesn't.  That doesn't mean you should shy away from the elliptical, it can give you quite a good workout too! 
 
We're only on it for a total of 20 minutes... Yep 20 minutes that's all, but in those 20 minutes we're working harder than most people would if they were on there for 40 minutes, heck, maybe even an hour!  Here's what it looks like...
  • Minutes 1-4: Warm up at Resistance Level 10
  • Minutes 5-18: Starting at the top of the minute raise resistance level to 12 and sprint for 15 seconds.  Lower resistance and recover 45 seconds.  Repeat at the top of the next minute.
  • Minutes 19-20: Cool down.  Raise resistance to 12 again and change directions to a backward motion.
It doesn't look like much of a workout, but let me tell you it is killer!  By the time we're done I'm covered in sweat and feel as if I'm going to toss my cookies! Wait I don't eat those anymore!  Well you know what I mean!  The best part is, each week Trainer Jeremy bumps the sprint time up a second! Fun right... NOT!  We're in week two so that means 16 second sprints... Yeah! *Do ya hear the sarcasm?*
 
Next time you're in the gym and you're looking for something different try this, it really is a great workout!
     

No comments: