Thursday, June 9, 2011

A 10 Year Old's Resolution.

My Little Lady 'K' is the only 10 year old I know that set New Year's resolutions for herself.  Most adults don't set them, and if they do they don't end up keeping them.  I'm guilty of that and I'm pretty sure you are too.  This year one of her resolutions was to run a 5K.  I was really surprised when she came home that cold day back in December and told me.  When I asked her why she wanted to do a 5K she said, "I want to be a runner like you, Mom."  Blinking back tears I told her we would make her resolution happen.

Back in March we got a flyer home from her school about the Girls On The Run program that they were going to form a team for.  In short, it's a program that teaches girls about living a healthy lifestyle and also trains them to run a 5K.  There was an opening for 15 girls so we needed to act fast.  I filled out the paper work and told her to turn it in A.S.A.P.  A week later she got her letter of acceptance (well it was just a note that said she was one of the 15) and in April she started her training.

I was so excited to learn that for the actual race the girls would need running buddy's.  Someone who could make sure the girl didn't get lost or didn't finish.  Someone who would encourage them and help them cross the finish line.  When she came home and asked me to be her buddy I, again, blinked back tears and said, "Of course."

Me and Lady 'K' before the race.


Here we are at the beginning of the race.

Here's Lady 'K' with her finish medal.

She ran a good race... finishing in 43:26.  At the end she cried tears of joy and I let a few slip also. I'm so proud of her and can't wait to run many more races with my little running buddy.

1 comment:

Peaceful Chaoz said...

I was set to watch out for you starting out and coming in so I could get pics, and both times I missed you girls! She did a great job! I love this program! :0)